|Unit One: Theoretical Component
Unit One is the technical component containing theoretical information on skin care, color theory, makeup, hair, nails, fragrance and the male market.
|Skin: Structure and Types
– This chapter tells readers all they need to know about skin – from the structure and function of the epidermis, dermis and subcutaneous layer to the different skin classifications.
– The skin is the body’s largest, most remarkable organ and you should understand it before recommending skin care products.
|Health and Skin Care
– Chapter Two discusses how to have a healthy lifestyle. It also has a section on the dangers of sun tanning, information on sunscreens and self-tanning products.
– Our skin is just a reflection of everything within. There are many factors that affect the health of our skin, including sleep, exercise, stress, diet, chemical influences and the sun.
– The reader is introduced to the basics of cosmetic chemistry. Chapter Three provides information on product ingredients such as collagen, hyaluronic acid, liposomes and alpha hydroxy acids.
– By having an understanding of the chemical characteristics of various materials, you will be in a much better position to identify what’s in the products you sell to your customers.
– The wide assortment of face and body products that are available and how to use them are covered in this section.
– With a wide assortment of products on the market, choosing one which will most benefit the customer becomes complex. Take the time to learn about your products and their benefits.
– This chapter deals with the theory of colour and colour analysis. It is an important selling tool for recommending makeup products to customers.
– By understanding colour, you will be better able to satisfy your customer. You will know which colours work best to complement her natural pigment and those she should avoid.
– Chapter Six focuses on the steps of a daytime makeup application, the tools used, and gives suggestions for applying makeup to mature customers and for various skin colours.
– Knowing how to apply the makeup you are selling is extremely important. You must be constantly aware of trends and know how to best enhance facial features.
– One’s appearance can have an affect on one’s self-esteem. This chapter discusses paramedical makeup techniques used to assist individuals with appearance-related differences such as port wine stains, birthmarks, vitiligo and scarring.
– Normalizing the appearance is the ultimate goal of camouflage/paramedical makeup. If you can accomplish this, you will make your client very happy.
– Hair Care deals with the structure of the hair, the products used to colour, perm, shampoo and condition the hair along with methods of hair removal.
– In order to recommend hair care products to your customers, you need to know the structure of the hair and the formulation of your products to be sure those products are beneficial.
– This chapter focuses on the tools of nail care, recommending nail products, how to give a professional manicure, artificial nail products as well as how to recognize nail diseases and disorders.
– By knowing proper nail care products and techniques, you can provide visible results to customers’ hands and nails.
– The fragrance section discusses the creation and composition of fragrances, fragrance forms, image and fragrance classifications, bath and body products and how to sell fragrance products.
– We are surrounded by sensations and chief among them is scent. Is it any wonder, that fragrance holds such a very important position in the cosmetics industry?
|The Male Market
– Chapter Eleven examines the variety of skin care and fragrance products and their uses available to men.
– Over the last few decades the male market has expanded to the point where it now includes skin care products and pre- and post-shaving products.
– Aromatherapy is using fragrance in a therapeutic or healing manner. This chapter investigates how certain fragrance ingredients have been incorporated into cosmetic products to produce effects that range from energizing to relaxation to healing.
– Essential oils have been used for thousands of years in medicines, fragrances and cosmetics. Is it any wonder, then, that the field of aromatherapy is thriving?